Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pre-Historic TV

About Aug-Sept 1930, Mother took me to the Canadian National Exposition in Toronto.  I had always been a great lover of parades, fairs and the like.  --So I'm sure she was sure that I'd be thrilled to pieces for certain.  --Actually, I don't remember anything about the "fair" part, but I do remember , foggily, my first TV. -- Perhaps my good Canadian relatives can investigate the actual times and dates better than my memory.
One of the largest department stores at that time in the world, was Eaton's (or Eaton, -----. and ---,s). The fascinating experience was my first television. --It's been about 80 years, so my memories are not as sharp as if it'd been yesterday.
I remember the studio was on the first or second floor and the receiving area was on the 6th or 7th floor. Oh, that elevator!  
The "picture" was essentially life-sized, but black and white, and the sound was  little "crackelly", like radio in those days. Needless to say I was really impressed. -- Those pictures talking like the radio sounded was really beyond imagination!
Too bad Mother isn't here to confirm or deny my memories!   I don't remember discussing the incident with her,   Probably it was completely beyond belief to me. (What's to discuss?) .


No comments:

Post a Comment