Monday, August 22, 2011

"Music"--Grandpa Story, "sort of" with added attractions


 #1
Music has always been a significant part of my life. This may seem strange to some of my children (Hear them? Really!?!)  Maybe it's better said that music was always in the background. (Better?) Best to understand any
story, one must have the context for adequacy. 

As the younger generations may not know, I was an orphan of sorts. My father was killed in an auto-train accident when I was only 13 months of age. As a result my earliest "conscious" recollections have to do with my life with the family of my mother- the "Walter H. Chaddock" family.  As I became older more "Kuhls became real" parts of my life , but as a young child my associations were all with the " Chaddocks".

My earliest fixed recollections are associated with the holiday get-togethers of our small group and the other "Chaddocks". There were uncles (3), aunts (3), cousins (4), Mother and Grandma. By that time Grandpa was gone.
(They said I'd been his shadow, as a tot). After the mid-day holiday meal, the chairs and small tables were pushed back to the wall or to the parlor, any way so the festivities could begin!

Grandma played the piano, my uncles all played the" Bones"and/ or the mouth organ.-and so the music would begin! Piano tones, humming, mouth organ music, dancing and the clacking of the "bones"--and we were off!
The older couples began rather in a stately fashion, but soon, words filled the air with such words as we'd never heard before! Schottisch, Reels, Waltzes, Fox trots, and so on! We all made great efforts to dance, hum and other wise enjoy ourselves. After a suitable time Mother and Grandma would switch(at the piano) as would partners, etc. and things continued with giggles, squawks, squeals, etc! -Taking over! This weird and wild showing would 
last an hour or so, then we all ran out of gas! The young folks were just catching on and the old folks pooped! Sitting was a mistake! We all deflated like ballons and giggled and laughed, etc,.etc.,and so to the nap department!
Another happy holiday!

Mother was a real legitimate musical person who had a fine soprano voice, played "cello", piano and other instruments and taught piano lessons. The family had been Presbyterians but she left the Presbyterian Choir to con- duct and manage the choir at the Emmanuel Baptist Church and did so. I presume there were sums of money involved, but that was never discussed in my presence. She did her job well and after a length of time became en-
gaged to Edward S. Dean, a member of that choir, whom she married. Her association with the Emmanuel Baptist Choir continued….And so did I.

Mother gave piano lessons, so scales and basic melodies were part of my life as I looked over the bust of Beethoven on the piano. My personal introduction to piano lessons lasted about two weeks. --The punting of the football in the street was much more attractive to me than confinement to the piano bench and rudimentary scales! To her credit she did not try to force me.
Lila has consented to help me in this area. She was the most musical of our generation , so I feel she should "Give a good go" to us!
I will return to continue with the "Kuhl Family Music" Involving schools, and the rest as it unrolls!
.


Love," Grandpa"

Music Grandpa Story, "Sort of"- Scholastic-- #2

In the primary grades we began singing Christmas carols. I can just imagine the "awesome"
feelings a first grade teacher has starting out on Christmas carols. --too gruesome!  At any rate it's  about all the poor teachers were up to -to work with the squawkers, shouters and "mummies" in the class.  If the teacher were lucky there were two or three in the class that could carry a tune and blend in. My first grade class was large- between 30 and 50.  Needless to say, I didn't count them. 

As I recall, in 3rd grade, instruction in instruments was first offered.  Some instruments were furnished, and some were made obtainable by some means. At that time, Ruth took up the "cello" and did a fine job of it! (So what's new?) 
I wasn't interested at the time, but Mother encouraged me to take up some instrument.  As a result I have a vague recollection of an interview including Mother, the head of the department of music for the schools and myself.  The only discussion I recall is that my teeth and the playing of a flute didn't encourage a happy career.  
Thinking about -Why the flute?-makes me remember that the only instrument player of any local renown was "Bill Coon", who was a flautist of great reputation. He was a Seneca Indian  which  made him more fascinating, but also he had at least two sons who were professionals, a  lawyer  and a doctor, who had gone to McGill University  in Canada!  How attractive can one family be?
I believe it was in 4th grade that a circulating music teacher appeared and took over the real task of teaching us to sing as a group. By the time she was through we could listen to her note on the little mouth organ and take off singing.  Wondering what that little sound had to do with our singing. Not too bad, anyway. 

If memory serves me correctly, it was about 5th grade that Walter Damrosch appeared. He had a wonderful program called "The Music Appreciation Hour" which was on NBC and taught us about classical music, operas, the stories and the composers of these works.  The class was held in the "music room" , the program was on the radio, and was a wonderful presentation of that subject.  Many were fascinated and I'm sure many future lovers of classical music were introduced to the world of fine music at that time.  (It was broadcast from 1928-1942)

From elementary school we went to 8th grade (at the High School), and there I was in "The 
Boys Glee Club", Ruth was in "The Girls Choral". We both were in "The Choristers", the mixed group supposedly composed of the better voices.  Later, I was a sailor  in the crew of " H.M.S. Pinafore," an opera by Gilbert and Sullivan.  I'm sure Ruth was in other musical presentations, but as a student 2 yrs. ahead of her, I was not observant of her obvious talents and presentations. Too bad we started late in this story! 



                                         Love Grandpa (There'll be more)


Music-Grandpa Story-"Sort of" #2 b 
            I enjoyed music in high school. Singing in "The Choristers"  made me think in the last few  retrospective months, wondering where the music director had the intestinal fortitude to put me in the better group.   -- The answer, I think, was that he knew I always sang next to my good friend, Paul Ruhland, who was an excellent musician could read music, and play the trumpet and carry a  tune! I could carry a tune , but had to be led there(by Paul), reading music was other worldly. I could tell by the music that the sound went up or down, but the "how far"  was my problem! 
When I tried out for the college choral group, I'm sure that was what eliminated me. (And why not?)
So in college, my role was passive in music.
 In contrast, Ruth (Grandma Kuhl to you) who played the "cello"; sang in high school, and in college.  The college group called "The Schola Cantorum," was mixed and sang many  engagements at other colleges, high schools, etc. In addition, she sang for an Episcopal church  to aid the choir, for a small retainer, and as a senior had a lead in the college opera. The opera   took place when I was in med school, so I did not attend. 


As teen-agers we were exposed to "The Saturday Night Hit Parade".  As a morning paper  boy,i did not have much exposure to that.  I don't know about Ruth, since that "was before my  time".  However, we both had exposure to scout and "Y" camps, where we became exposed tothe songs of that type.  Such gems as "Sweet Adeline", "Sweet Ivory Soap", "Clementine" and"the Cannibal King", etc. were enjoyed to the fullest.   In addition in German class I learned such wonders as "Du,Du, liegst mir im Herzen," "Ach Du Lieber Augustine" , and "Schnitzelbank" along  with other songs of German origin. In church I was exposed to the common hymns, but Ruth at  that time had essentially no exposure to religious music.
In college, as a freshman, my chief work to help stay in college, was a "soda jerk" and received plenty of exposure to the popular music of the day.  It was "The Big Band Era" so I heard plenty of the music of the times, courtesy of the coins of the students in the juke boxes. My hours were 8-11 thirty so that was the time! “The September Song,” became our theme song of sorts after. (Ruth was not in college… at that point-we were married…11 Sept 1943)




No comments:

Post a Comment