Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Old Mantle Clock


Old Mantle Clock
Today I took the old clock to be "whatevered"- cleaned especially.  It had quit right after Christmas.  I knew mother would not be happy with her baby being so neglected. So I inquired and today off I went to "Das tock tock Haus" with it. The mantle clock ,family-wise has a rather peculiar history. It belonged in the Dean House on Walnut Street when I (we) first saw it.  If I remember correctly when the last "Dean" died it came to Prospect Ave.  When mother died neither Velma nor Lila wanted it.  Ruth adopted it as soon as it was available and we've had it ever since.  Some yrs ago the ancient works wouldn't work. The old works were it!  Nothing was available.  So Ruth had it converted so the Westminister chimes are now available (when it works)..Ruth took the clock faithfully to an old gentleman in Pharr(He had a clock museum, remember, some of you)  To keep it in decent shape all those yrs.
The clock body was made in Bristol, Ct. sometime 1828-1834.

No extra charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment