Monday, August 22, 2011

I Just Don’t Do That


We all are different, one from the other.  --For an obvious example. I was one of three children, each of our children had 8 siblings! There have to be differences!   “Little things " and Big things" can make enormous differences in the formation(s) of our personality(ies) and lives.
               That over with, I will remind you if you were "on board" before, Uncle Harry was our(Bob and my) "rich uncle". His daughter Frances was beautiful, intelligent and altogether "worshipful" for me. - Actually, she was "on a date" so much of the time "When I saw her..  I didn't see her."  She followed through with an education which included Elmira College and one of the fancy colleges in the east, " Simmons", I believe.
               At any rate, in the spring of 1937 she and Bob Lawrence(Cornell) decided to get married. Uncle Harry had had trouble with a hernia all his life and decided to get it fixed that year.  So early in 1937 surgery was performed. Unfortunately infection set in. Those were the days when antibiotics were fantasized and if available, tried, but after two 'Sulfas" without effect his condition gradually deteriorated. So the wedding was set for home 26 June 1937. (Uncle Harry died 11 Jul 1937.)
               The rather somber wedding ceremony was held in the parlor without incident. The getting away rites "exercises" were held in the driveway, behind the house.  Things were going well, and the newlyweds were about to "take off" when yours truly tossed some confetti in the open window on the driver's side.  Bob ducked, hit the corner of the rear view mirror on his right  eyebrow---BLOOD everywhere, handkerchiefs, distressed cries, somber faces, --the world sunk around me it seemed ,I was so aghast at what I had set in motion!  Things simmered down after a bit, but I DON"T DO THAT ANY MORE! (and…never have).


                               i  Anda con cuidado!!  Con mucho amor , Abuelito  (o Tio Ivan)

By today standards Uncle Harry wasn't rich.  He had a hardware store which made new gadgets his while we dealt with ice boxes, tiny radios, etc., AS OPPOSED TO PLUSH CABINETS, ELECTRIC TOASTERS, ELECTRIC REFRIGERATORS AND OTHER WONDERS. Aunt Louise was his fabulous wife.  Ruth liked her a lot (me too).  You may remember you have an aunt by the name of Anita Louise.  Guess whom she was named for?!  Uncle Harry was the oldest of the Chaddock children, Mother (youngest) was almost 20 yrs younger than Uncle Harry.  Nice to show your interest! Love, Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment