Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chaddock-Bio-Uncle Harry#2 (Cont'd)(Velma)

  One day Lila and I collected a bunch of small rocks and put them on the porch.  I was on the porch and she was at the foot of the porch steps. Aunt Louise came out and ordered me to get the rocks off the porch so I started to throw them in the alley. I told Lila to get out of the way or I would hit her with a rock. And she didn't and I did! To this day she bears the scar of that day , on the lip where it was split with the rock!!
  Cousin Frances was married a few weeks before Uncle Harry died.  Lila and I were flower girls and Auntie Florence had made our beautiful long dresses.  The church was cancelled and Fran and Bob were married at home where Uncle Harry could attend lying in  hospital bed set up in the living room.  The bridesmaids didn't attend but Lila and I in our lovely dresses did.  I'm sure Aunt Louise is the one who said we should be there because the dresses were made and she knew how excited we'd been about the wedding !  Ivan has his own story about the wedding!  (I tossed some confetti in the driver's side window, Bob ducked and sustained a cut above the eyebrow from the rear view mirror. I don't throw anything at weddings since then. -Ivan)
  11 Dolbeer was never the same after that without Uncle Harry. He was full of  life and enthusiasm. Aunt Louise was more staid and proper, a real lady. Without a word from her you were always on your best behavior.
  The last time  I saw her alive was in a nursing home in Wyoming(NY). By the the she died she had outlived all her friends, and her funeral was sparsely attended.
  I never heard that she had any siblings.  When we were in St. Cloud, Florida for the winter when I was about 5, we went to visit Mrs Buell., Aunt Louise's mother. She was a very plump, unkempt woman and I couldn't connect her to Aunt Louise at all. (This was when IWK was at Perry school.)
            Velma Dean Parry  (minor editing by IWK)




No comments:

Post a Comment