Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bio-Chaddock, Harry #4 (Ivan)Contd

Harry Hiram Chaddock B11 Jul 1878  D 11 Jul 1936
Anna Louise Buell Chaddock B 17 Feb 1876   D 21 Feb 1962

    My association with Uncle Harry and Aunt Louise was unique in that in 1933 I spent six weeks with them and attended school in Perry. Lois was like my big sister so I would frequently carry her books home from school,  (Something had come up!).  She was very popular in High School and was very active!  I was happy to have a Big Sister.  Made  me special!
    At that time I became acquainted with "Little Orphan Annie" and "Jack Armstrong , the All American Boy" which programs were on the radio when I arrived "at home". The brushy river bank became a first class place to chase bad guys and Indians and such(I was 12). ( Radio was not a part of home in Batavia, especially a console as Uncle Harry and Aunt Louise had).
   Aunt Louise is the only person I ever knew who made toast in the oven with a pop-up toaster across the room. They also had a "flip-over "toaster .  Also frequently ignored.
   Cinnamon toast was an appreciated by-product (of the oven toasting).  I became well acquainted with the electric mixer and the preparation Cocomalt.  Gained about 10 lbs in that 6 weeks, if I remember correctly.
   Aunt Louise started the day with a glass of warm water. (Kept her intestines open, she said.) Uncle Harry would frequently start the day tossing the contents of water glasses back and forth  with a mixture which bubbled and frothed. (Alka Seltzer?) Fascinating!
   Aunt Louise ministered to me when I relieved Uncle Harry's humidor of an extra cigar  and it punished me for my iniquity. (She never made a public announcement, either!)
    She also introduced me to the idea of multiple changes of clothing in a single day.  I'd never had that many clothes before. (Uncle Harry took me to the store and purchased a complete outfit for me.) The particular day Aunt Louise and I came head to head was when she made me change my clothes to go to an evening meal at the Country Club.  I didn't see the purpose. Eventually I relented.  I think of that incident frequently when I change my clothes for the 4th or 5th time in a day now.
     I saw Uncle Harry when he was on his death bed. I shook his hand heartily, and he winced.  ---Talk about a lasting memory! That made me a kindlier, gentler soul the rest of my life!
     In case you didn't know, Uncle Harry died of septicemia after hernia repair.  The latest medicine available was used including some Sulfa to no avail.  The sepsis made him tender all over.
     Shortly after that came college, med school, marriage and the peripatetic life of our generation, so I never saw much of Aunt Louise after that, although she did attend my high school graduation. We did see her enough so Ruth had the opportunity to see her and like her and we named our oldest daughter
after her. A real gem of a person was Aunt Louise!

I feel very chagrinned that I do not know more about Aunt Louise and her family. I never heard her mention her parents or siblings. There is a street in Batavia called Buell Street and I remember Mother's telling me it was named for Aunt Louise's family, and that Aunt Louise grew up in Batavia.
    I would guess that the name Bull is German and the name is the Anglification of the word which is unpronounceable  in English and so is modified to become bull, buell, buhl, beel, beal, etc.   Kuhl has a similar problem and is spelled kuhl, cool, kuhel, kuehl, etc..
    In fact, in McAllen there was a family named "Bull", by the father,  but the daughter had it changed to
Buell.

Love!

Ivan W. Kuhl B 2 Dec 1920



  


No comments:

Post a Comment