Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chaddock-Bio-Uncle Arthur


Arthur Walter Chaddock

Uncle Arthur was also a rather somber individual from my standpoint.  His wife "Auntie Grace" had a sharp voice and loved to talk.  Lawrence, their adopted son, was quiet and handsome. My mother said he had a beautiful tenor voice.  I wouldn't know. 

Uncle Arthur was rather studious in appearance and he was an electrical contractor.

What he did was all a mystery to me. As you may surmise, all things electric were surrounded by mystery in those days.  Radio was fabulous, --to the point of being unbelievable and farms had a minimum of electric sources. - My Kuhl grandparents had a 10-12 foot cord with  bulb suspended over the Franklin stove for he only obvious source of electricity.  - No radio, the telephone , of course, had electricity, "but that was different".  A whole story book could be told about the telephones of those days.

So anyway. Uncle Arthur dealt with the fringe of mystery in those days.  When Lawrence returned from overseas he joined Uncle Arthur as his helper.  Wasn't very long, for Uncle Arthur died in i946 at the age of 63.   At that time Ruth and I were in the midst of  medical movements--Internship and first assignment in the USPHS, so we were detached from his last days. As a result,I know nothing of his death, although I suspect it was associated with hernia, also.  

No comments:

Post a Comment